Find your Story
How can I help? Is your manuscript polished to near-perfection? Even the best writers need a fresh set of eyes to see what they've been missing. Do you have a rough idea but need a roadmap to develop your vision? The stage and level you're at with your writing will determine the type(s) of editorial service you need. That's where I come in.
Let me help your individual creativity shine through without grammatical speed bumps or plot pitfalls getting in your way. Below is a list of the different editorial services I offer with a brief description.
This is usually the final phase of editing to check for errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
An overall check focusing on strengths and weaknesses followed by a written critique. An evaluation of spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, flow, style, and structure. For fiction, dialogue, POV (point-of-view), plot structure and arc, pacing, character(s) development, and other mechanical elements are also reviewed.
The editor focuses primarily on the stylistic elements of writing and fluidity of language (clarity of meaning, avoiding jargon, and clichés) and variation of sentence structure. The editor analyzes target audience and checks for correct level of reading, tone or formality of language, and adjusts syntax for better flow.
The most common service, the editor focuses on sentence structure, removing redundancies, grammar, spelling, and improving word usage and/or providing alternative words to strengthen the work. This may also include correcting line errors, formatting issues, fact-checking (nonfiction) and general stylistic consistency.
The editor suggests changes to the storyline, character development, and other areas that need improvement, and then the author incorporates changes.
Substantive Editing (or Content Editing)
Please contact me if you have any questions about a particular service. The standard list of industry rates are available on the Editorial Freelancers Association website. My rates follow these guidelines, though each project is unique. I would be happy to arrange an individual estimate based on:
- a sample chapter
- total word count of the manuscript
- type of editing
This is a sample of rates (based on the industry standard of 250 words per page):
- Proofreading: $2.00 to $2.50 per page
- Copyediting: $2.50 to $4.50 per page
- Line Editing: $3.50 to $6.00 per page
- Substantive Editing: $3.00 to $5.00 per page
- Editorial Evaluation Only: $400 to $650 for manuscripts under 100,000 words
Are you at a dead end with your manuscript? Feel like there are critical issues with style, clarity, or story line? Do your characters lack dimension and realistic dialogue? Based on your idea, outline, research, and rough draft, I'll revise and write a fresh manuscript. This may require additional research and writing of original material.
The editor may rewrite portions of the manuscript for clarity, improved flow, and elimination of unnecessary backtracking which can lead to reader frustration. This could include delving deeper into plot and character development, as well as organization and continuity at the sentence, paragraph, and chapter levels. The editor ensures arguments make sense, clues move the plot, world-building is believable, and scenes develop in a compelling fashion.
Children's Book Editing
Manuscript Editing Fees (Minimum fee for each age group is $300)
- Picture Book Manuscripts: 0.60 cents per word
- Rhyming Manuscripts: fees vary
- Early Reader Manuscripts: 0.50 cents per word
- Middle Grade Novel/Chapter Books: 0.25 cents per word
- Young Adult/Teen Novels: 0.20 cents per word
- Editing of Query Letters & Submission Letters: fees vary
Children's Book Services:
Complete line-by-line editing to include:
- tighten, clarify, and focus the story
- strengthen and/or development of plot, pacing, and characters
- substitute redundancies, clichés, and hyperbole
- develop the author's unique voice and fluidity of the writing
- evaluation of grammar, spelling errors, and syntax
- support the author with a tactful and constructive approach